The 1.5 day training course will focus on the rationale for using Botulinum toxin-A (BoNT-A) as an adjunct to upper limb rehabilitation in children with neurological impairment. Using the latest evidence from scientific literature, combined with over 15 years clinical experience in the use of upper limb BoNT-A, Day 1 of this course will assist clinicians make sense of who, why and when to consider the use BoNT-A as an adjunct to evidence-based upper limb intervention. Day 2 will involve the practical application of this knowledge. Participants will be actively involved in the assessment of a range children with upper limb muscle overactivity and in the formulation of treatment plans.
Detailed course notes and reference material will provided.
By undertaking this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the latest concepts and terminology for muscle overactivity in upper motor neurone disorders.
- Understand the administration and mechanism of effect for BoNT-A.
- Understand the data relating to safety and efficacy for the use of upper limb BoNT-A injections in children.
- Understand possible adverse events following upper limb injection of BoNT-A.
- Review upper limb anatomy and the impact of muscle overactivity following upper motor neurone disorders.
- Gain confidence for recommendation of specific upper limb muscles for injection of BoNT-A.
- Understand the role of the therapist in upper limb spasticity management.
- Gain confidence in who, how, why and when to recommend children for upper limb injection of BoNT-A.
- Understand the aims of upper limb BoNT-A injection in children (function and symptom management).
- Gain confidence in the timing, planning and implementation of evidence-based intervention following upper limb BoNT-A.
- Objectively evaluate outcomes pre and post upper limb BoNT-A injection.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Occupational therapists, Physiotherapists, Physicians
For further information about the course location, please contact Bärbel Rückriem at Baerbel.Rueckriem@kispi.uzh.ch
GENERAL COURSE ENQUIRIES
For more information on course content or if you have any questions about booking a place on this course, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Registrations closing date extended to Friday 13th April, 2017