The 2-day practical and interactive training course, designed specifically for clinicians, will focus on the implementation of evidence-based interventions for children with unilateral cerebral palsy (CP). Using the latest evidence and knowledge from scientific literature, the course will assist clinicians in making sense of who, how, why and when to chose a particular upper limb intervention. The course will provide clinicians with the confidence and practical skills to implement interventions such as constraint-induced movement therapy, bimanual occupational therapy, goal-directed training and strength training. It will focus on practical considerations, such as the individual characteristics of the child (age, cognitive function, motivation) and the importance of environment and behaviour management to ensure the most effective outcomes. Participants will also learn how to objectively evaluate treatment. Detailed course notes and reference material will provided.
Upon completion of this course, participants working children with unilateral CP will be able to:
- Understand and define functional hand use.
- Recognize evidence-based interventions for the upper limb.
- Understand the practical, environmental and contextual considerations for implementation of constraint-induced movement therapy, bimanual occupational therapy, goal directed training and strength training.
- Understand and adopt models of practice that consider important transitions throughout childhood.
- Understand and improve confidence in who, how, why and when to chose a particular upper limb intervention.
- Objectively evaluate the outcomes of specific interventions.
- Understand the latest evidence for brain plasticity and impact on the timing and choice of intervention.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Occupational Therapists and Physiotherapists
REGISTRATION CLOSING DATE
Friday 28th August, 2015
For further information about the course location, please contact Tuba Dogan, Physiotherapist, Spastic Children’s Foundation of Turkey, Metin Sabancı Rehabilitation and Education Center at firstname.lastname@example.org
GENERAL COURSE ENQUIRIES
For more information about course content or if you have any questions about booking a place on this course, please contact email@example.com