Functional Hand Use in Hemiplegia – Sheffield, UK, 2020
25 SEATS LEFT
Start: June 4, 2020 , 8:30 am
End: June 5, 2020 , 5:00 pm
Sheffield City Centre, Sheffield S1 1WB
The 2-day practical and interactive training course, designed specifically for clinicians, will focus on the implementation of evidence-based interventions for children with unilateral cerebral palsy (CP). Using the latest evidence and knowledge from scientific literature, the course will assist clinicians in making sense of who, how, why and when to chose a particular upper limb intervention. The course will provide clinicians with the confidence and practical skills to implement interventions such as modified constraint-induced movement therapy, bimanual occupational therapy and goal-directed training. It will focus on practical considerations, such as the individual characteristics of the child (age, cognitive function, motivation) and the importance of environment and behaviour management to ensure the most effective outcomes. Participants will also learn how to objectively evaluate treatment. Detailed course notes and reference material will be provided.
Upon completion of this course, participants working children with unilateral CP will be able to:
- Understand and define functional hand use.
- Recognise evidence-based interventions for the upper limb.
- Understand the practical, environmental and contextual considerations for implementation of modified constraint-induced movement therapy, bimanual therapy and goal-directed training.
- Understand and adopt models of practice that consider important transitions throughout childhood.
- Understand and improve confidence in who, how, why and when to chose a particular upper limb intervention.
- Objectively evaluate the outcomes of specific interventions.
- Understand the latest evidence for brain plasticity and impact on the timing and choice of intervention.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Occupational Therapists and Physiotherapists
Registration includes a course manual, access to electronic copies of course references and morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea on the teaching days.
GENERAL COURSE ENQUIRIES
For more information about course content, or if you have any questions about booking a place on this course, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For any local enquiries, please contact the course host Kerry Grady, Advanced Occupational Therapist at Sheffield Children’s Hospital email@example.com
Please note, CPteaching has a strict policy of not holding places for courses. All registrations must be processed via the CPteaching website.
EARLY BIRD REGISTRATIONS extended until Friday 20th March 2020. Please note, payment must be made in full prior to Friday 20th March 2020 to ensure early bird pricing.
REGISTRATIONS CLOSE FRIDAY 24th April 2020
25 SEATS LEFT